Wednesday, December 31, 2014

9/13/11. Week Numero Uno


It's been quite some time since I've updated this thing. I started my first classes last Tuesday, September 6. This semester I am taking First Year Seminar, Intro to Fiction Writing, ASL 1, and Deaf Culture (for those of you who didn't know, I am majoring in American Sign Language-English Interpretation.) I love all my classes though I don't quite understand the purpose of First Year Seminar. I know we read books, watch a couple movies, and then discuss them. I dropped my Writing&Rhetoric 1 class this morning since my english credit form OTC fill that requirement.

I have made so many friends already. We were told upon move in that most people do not get along well or become friends with their roommates; however, I have become friends with my roommate as well as my suit-mates (the girls next door whom we also share a bathroom with and have a door that connects our rooms.) Since the first day, we've done practically everything together. We four are also friends with six others; two guys one of my suit mates met randomly one day, twins who also roomed with me temporarily until they could get an apartment room together, a suit-mate's boyfriend, and one of his roommates. The ten of us make for quite the diverse group. We all have such different personalities, backgrounds, interests, habits, opinions... It's so interesting that we all know each other or enjoy one another's company. There's never a dull moment.

I am in the process of trying to find a job. I have submitted 38 job applications just in the childcare/housecleaning field alone. So far I have had three responses, one interview, and another interview being scheduled. Since I dropped my Writing and Rhetoric class, I'll now have more time for a job too. I had an interview yesterday with a woman hiring for before-school assistance (I'd make lunch for the kids, take them to school...) It was a flop, but after she described the situation to me, I'm glad it didn't work out. At first it was discouraging, but I know God has a job in mind for me. I just have to be patient. It also helps having all my friends cheering me as I continue in my hunt for employment. Everything seems better when others become excited too.
Like I said, there's never a dull moment

Though I am having the time of my life, I miss home. I don't exactly know where home is though. They say, "Home is where the heart is." but I don't know where I put it. I was so excited to move back to Illinois, but now that I'm here, I miss Missouri. Oh the irony. I miss my other friends: my BFF Weston, my pasta buddies John and Wendy; I miss James River Assembly and the fellowship I had there. Don't get me wrong, I found a wonderful church here. Some of you may know it: Willow Creek Church- the Chicago location. I miss my doggies Daisy and Ginger. I actually miss driving my '95 Taurus SHO. Most of all though, I miss my mommy. I miss waking up to bubbles floating over my pillow and onto my face then looking up to see Mom with a goober grin. I miss cuddling up next to her on the big comfy couch and watching a movie and eating ice cream late at night. I miss the random outbursts of laughter over the stupidest things.

...I want to go home.

I envy those who can go home for the weekend (like my roommate) if even just to do laundry because I know my mom would do laundry with me. Often I find myself wanting to cry; occasionally I'll let out a sniffle or half a tear drop here and there when I settle in for bed. I know that I can take the METRA to visit with some family friends, but you know it's just not quite the same. Being so busy is a good thing I suppose. I don't have time to miss "home" wherever that may be because I don't have time to think about it. Rather than the thoughts that would normally occupy my mind from trying to adjust (I've adjusted quite nicely and better than I'd thought, thank you very much) my head is filled with, "Read pages 1-50 by Thursday, finish the essay, rewrite the journal entry. Really? More reading?" I think I would miss it less if I didn't find my mailbox empty and held hostage by spider webs everyday (hint hint...)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment