Wednesday, December 31, 2014

11/11/11. I'm a Missouri Girl


For so long I have tried to maintain a Northern accent; I entertained the way I would pronounce certain vowels as the people native to Illinois do and would avoid saying things like "ya'll" and "thang" and the more extreme "howdy." For years I tried to convince myself that I am a Northern girl and that I didn't want to be identified as a redneck from the south. I always told myself that I am going to go home: that I'm going to move back to Illinois and leave the southern experiences behind. Now that I am in Chicago; however, I realize more and more everyday that I am truly a Missouri girl by heart. Ozark has established a place for itself in my heart and there's no way to get rid of it. I may not say "ya'll" or "Howdy," but I've been caught saying "thang" and using quick Missourian slurs when I get a playful 'in-your-face' attitude with other people. Others here can pick me out for a newbie any day.

 
I miss Missouri. Despite its horrible weather: tornadoes, the Finley flooding every year, unbearably humid summers, and deadly ice storms- I want to go back. If I could, I would hop on the train right now (because that's what we have here in Chicago) and head straight for good 'ol MO. There's so much that I miss like: Mom, cousins, grandparents, aunts & uncles, best friends, James River, Rib Crib co-workers, Wal Mart, Orange Leaf, thunder storms, fresh air, my doggies, my own bed room, stars, 1995 Ford Taurus SHO, babysitting, free laundry, Christian radio station, go-carts, $1 movies, 7% tax, cell phone reception, the dollar store..... to name a few.

In Missouri, one doesn't have to worry about what lurks around the corner- a mugger? a salesman? (both are equally as dangerous, you know.) It's not everyday in Ozark that you see in the newspaper: MAN STABBED TO DEATH ON TRAIN PLATFORM AT UIC/HALSTED.

or

COLLEGE KID STEALS MAN'S PHONE AT GUN POINT AT HARRISON CTA STATION (that's right outside my dorm, fyi.) Springfield, MO has a high-ish crime rate, yes, but walking outside should be something one can do without worry. These kinds of headlines are what I see everyday in Chicago.

I miss the peace and quiet of Ozark. I miss being able to sleep at night and to know that when I wake up in the morning it won't be because of sirens blaring outside my window or drunk people stumbling down the hall at 5 AM.

Thanksgiving break is in ten days. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment