Wednesday, December 31, 2014

10/2/11. Fly Away


This evening while playing soccer at the beach with some friends, I found myself daydreaming. My head felt as though it would burst at the seams. I could hardly focus on the game. Finally when the game started to die down (it didn't last long anyway) I tiptoed over the sand toward the Great Lake. I stepped so lightly, I hardly left a single print in the sand. I reached the water's edge and let the cool wetness glaze over my toes. The water looked like fingers crawling up the beach toward my feet with the sole intention of dragging me back into the Michigan with it. Waves barreled over each other and sloppily splashed into the air. The chilly breeze tangled whisps of hair around my face tickling my skin.





I suddenly had the urge to fly so with arms outstretched, I raced down the beach kicking up water behind me dampening my jeans. For a moment, I truly believed that if I ran fast enough, the wind would lift me off the ground and carry me away as I danced through the stars. I stopped at the end of the beach and gazed longingly into the waves beating mercilessly at the cement barrier wall on the edge of the sidewalk. Without realizing, I began to sing, "I'll fly away O glory. I'll fly away. When I die hallelujah bye and bye. I'll fly away."

I looked back and saw my friends sitting in the sand talking to one another, completely oblivious to my fantasy. I didn't care. In that moment it was just me and... there was something else too. God was there with me and I felt a peace that I haven't felt lately; a peace that surpasses all understanding. I dug my toes into the sand and felt a smile spread across my face like a comet streaked across the sky. I just stood there frozen in time taking in all the splendor of the night. My toes began to freeze and I realized that they were still burying deeper and deeper into the beach's soft skin. I spun around and bounded back across the wet, mushy surface to the rest of the group. Several yards behind where they had been sitting, I noticed a gathering of people lighting hundreds of white candles in the sand. The candles flickered like fireflies in an open field.



We all made our way toward the sidewalk to put our shoes back on then began to walk back to the train station. I took off running down the sidewalk flapping my arms like a bird desperate to escape. I could feel angels carrying me over the pavement.

I know I'll return there again soon. The peace and joy I felt in that moment were so overwhelming. I was just myself with no outside pressures or distractions. I could fly- I was free!

Some glad morning when

this life is over,

I'll fly away.

To a home on God's celestial shore,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away. (In the morning)

When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,

I'll fly away.

When the shadows of

this life are gone,

I'll fly away.

Like a bird from prison bars has flown

I'll fly away.

Find more similar lyrics on http://mp3lyrics.com/1Kgm

 

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away. (In the morning)

When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,

I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then,

I'll fly away.

To a land where joy shall never end,

I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O Glory,

I'll fly away. (In the morning)

When I die, Hallelujah, bye and bye,

I'll fly away.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment